This Catholic Journey Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sacred Music

3 posters

Go down

Sacred Music Empty Sacred Music

Post by Mary1973 Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:17 am

On another forum there are huge discussions about the music used at Mass today. Many people think the music today is not very good. I, myself, do not know enough about sacred music to judge one form of music over another.

I think it is good to have music that the congregation can sing. But I do agree with the argument that much of the hymns today emphasize the person instead of God.

Any opinions/comments?
Mary1973
Mary1973
Neophyte
Neophyte

Female Number of posts : 68
Faith : Roman Catholic
Registration date : 2008-02-19

http://www.marylawlor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Sacred Music Empty Re: Sacred Music

Post by Amber Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:54 am

Mary1973 wrote:On another forum there are huge discussions about the music used at Mass today. Many people think the music today is not very good. I, myself, do not know enough about sacred music to judge one form of music over another.

I think it is good to have music that the congregation can sing. But I do agree with the argument that much of the hymns today emphasize the person instead of God.

Any opinions/comments?

This definitely seems to be a huge topic. Music at Mass has often been more of a distraction than anything for me. Two weeks ago, they actually sang a Garth Brooks tune... While I love the song itself, it's NOT appropriate for Mass. Just because a song mentions the word "God" does not make it acceptable.

They were using drums too, which I don't entirely mind as if they are played with a sense of reverence instead of like their being used for a concert... which is all-too-often how they are used.

Also, there seems to be a shortage of people who can sing well, also causing a distraction. I think the music at Mass needs a major overhaul in many parishes across the country.

We have a local sacred music choir but they seem to do Mass almost on a performance level...

All in all, I am personally disappointed in the music at Mass.
Amber
Amber
Neophyte
Neophyte

Female Number of posts : 101
Faith : Non-denominational to Catholic
Registration date : 2008-02-16

http://thiscatholicjourney.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Flowerchild Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:01 am

Ok, really..... Garth Brooks????? Shocked
Flowerchild
Flowerchild
Seeker

Female Number of posts : 17
Faith : Catholic
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:08 am

Flowerchild wrote:Ok, really..... Garth Brooks????? Shocked

Yep! It was "The River". Oh, and the week before, it was Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up".
Amber
Amber
Neophyte
Neophyte

Female Number of posts : 101
Faith : Non-denominational to Catholic
Registration date : 2008-02-16

http://thiscatholicjourney.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Flowerchild Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:12 am

That is just not right. I don't think so I thought that the music has to come out of approved books?

I attend a small parish, so there is only 2 guitars and a soft hand held drum, and a total of 5 people who sing. They really do a pretty good job. I can say that they have never played something that is not in the music book or missal. It does sort of have a modern flare, but it is always reverent.

I sometimes go to the Newman Center Mass, because sometimes it is the only one that works into my schedule. They have only two college students who sing and play. One the guitar and the other a bongo, which again has kinda a funky folksy sound, but the music is always out of the approved music book or missal. They really do a fabulous job. The students are the ones who will pick the music for the Mass and they make sure that the music matches what the readings are about. Much thought is put into it, which is so cool to see.

Amber, there have to be other who are amazed at the music choice. Do you think you could say something?
Flowerchild
Flowerchild
Seeker

Female Number of posts : 17
Faith : Catholic
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: