This Catholic Journey Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adoration

4 posters

Go down

Adoration Empty Adoration

Post by BillC Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:50 pm

So, when I go to spend time in adoration of our Lord in the Eucharist, I have been trying to learn to open myself up to just plain listening to Him. I have a hard time at this because my mind wanders or I start to talk to Him rather than just listening.
Anyone have good ways of keeping focused on listening and actually hearing what Christ is saying?
BillC
BillC
Neophyte
Neophyte

Male Number of posts : 67
Faith : Catholic-Latin Rite
Registration date : 2008-02-19

Back to top Go down

Adoration Empty Re: Adoration

Post by RobK Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:26 pm

I don't claim to know more than the next guy, but here are a few things I do.

I will sometimes just repeat the name of Jesus. Or "I love you Jesus" while sitting or kneeling.

Other times I speak with Christ.

Other times I will simply look feel his presence. In our parish we have kneelers and chairs placed close to the altar, and I can literally feel the presence of Christ.

I have also brought the Liturgy of the Hours or the Bible to pray through these in His presence.

RobK
Seeker

Male Number of posts : 10
Faith : Roman Catholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Khaled Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi Bill,
It sounds like you are trying to practice what is called mental prayer, or prayer of the heart. If that is the case, I would humbly suggest that you read the book Conversation with Christ by Peter Thomas Rorhbach. It is a very easy to read explanation of St. Teresa of Jesus' method of mental prayer. St. Teresa, a master of prayer, has very concrete suggestions on keeping focused on Christ in prayer.

When I was a novice, in a Religious Order, many many moons ago, we studied this book and it is excellent.
Khaled
Khaled
Seeker

Male Number of posts : 14
Faith : Latin Rite Catholic
Registration date : 2008-02-21

http://www.syriancatholic.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BillC Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:53 pm

Khaled wrote:Hi Bill,
It sounds like you are trying to practice what is called mental prayer, or prayer of the heart. If that is the case, I would humbly suggest that you read the book Conversation with Christ by Peter Thomas Rorhbach. It is a very easy to read explanation of St. Teresa of Jesus' method of mental prayer. St. Teresa, a master of prayer, has very concrete suggestions on keeping focused on Christ in prayer.

When I was a novice, in a Religious Order, many many moons ago, we studied this book and it is excellent.

Hmm, mental prayer...never heard that term before, but you might be on to something. I will definitely check out that book and see if it helps me...thanks for the info Khaled...:~]
BillC
BillC
Neophyte
Neophyte

Male Number of posts : 67
Faith : Catholic-Latin Rite

Back to top Go down

Post by CFaith Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:47 pm

Dear Bill,
What helps me, is not trying to control my mind. When thoughts come into my consciousness, as they will (it's just what a brain does) I just think to myself: "thinking", and let it go. Then I say to myself, "Jesus", focus on my breathing, and make myself available to whatever He may impress upon me. When thinking enters again: "thinking", and back to, "Jesus"...
To me, it's really important not to have any preconceived ideas of what or how our Lord will represent Himself - - - That's up to the F,S and HS!

CFaith
Seeker

Female Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum