This Catholic Journey Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving Holy Days

3 posters

Go down

Moving Holy Days Empty Moving Holy Days

Post by BillC Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:48 pm

In many dioceses of the U.S. some Holy Days of obligation that fall on a weekday have the celebration of same moved to the nearest Sunday. Seems to me that my priest said this was to make it easier for people to make it to Mass. Has anyone heard any other reasons that this practice takes place? I personally think this is a weak reason to move a Holy Day celebration, but I do submit to my Bishop in this, as he does have the authority to do it.
BillC
BillC
Neophyte
Neophyte

Male Number of posts : 67
Faith : Catholic-Latin Rite
Registration date : 2008-02-19

Back to top Go down

Moving Holy Days Empty Re: Moving Holy Days

Post by Admin Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:23 am

BillC wrote:In many dioceses of the U.S. some Holy Days of obligation that fall on a weekday have the celebration of same moved to the nearest Sunday. Seems to me that my priest said this was to make it easier for people to make it to Mass. Has anyone heard any other reasons that this practice takes place? I personally think this is a weak reason to move a Holy Day celebration, but I do submit to my Bishop in this, as he does have the authority to do it.

I believe attendance for Holy Days is seriously lacking, at least, that's what I've noticed. Perhaps it IS due in part to make it easier for people to attend, but perhaps, by moving it to Sunday, the higher attendance in observance of the solemnities of the Lord, also creates a deeper spiritual understanding of the life of Jesus and strengthens the body of Christ. Of course, this is just a guess...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 21
Faith : Catholic
Registration date : 2008-02-16

http://thiscatholicjourney.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary1973 Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:21 pm

From what I have learned, the moving of the holy days is, frankly, to make it easier for Catholics. I think this was a bad move on the part of the bishops. How ironic, however, that most of the holy days in Europe are also civic holidays. Very nice for a population which has lost its faith (for the most part).
Mary1973
Mary1973
Neophyte
Neophyte

Female Number of posts : 68
Faith : Roman Catholic
Registration date : 2008-02-19

http://www.marylawlor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content