This Catholic Journey Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Faith and Politics

2 posters

Go down

Faith and Politics Empty Faith and Politics

Post by Benedict John-Paul Sat May 24, 2008 2:30 pm

Dear Group,
I am beginning to find various talk in all my groups that relate diffrences in the Democratic and Republican races for the presedency in this election year. So now, after hearing that McCain is not totally 100% pro- life, my question is two fold.
1. Do we know what religion and/or denomination McCain is?
2. Is there presendence in the Catechism of the Catholic Church NOT to vote for a candidate if there is no candidate that reflects the views of the Catholic Church?
Benedict John-Paul
Benedict John-Paul
Seeker

Male Number of posts : 17
Faith : Catholic
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Faith and Politics Empty Re: Faith and Politics

Post by Cindy Sat May 24, 2008 7:19 pm

Catholics have a moral obligation to promote the common good through the exercise of their voting privileges. The Catechism says:

2240 Submission to authority and co-responsibility for the common good make it morally obligatory to pay taxes, to exercise the right to vote, and to defend one's country:

. . . [Christians] reside in their own nations, but as resident aliens. They participate in all things as citizens and endure all things as foreigners. . . . They obey the established laws and their way of life surpasses the laws. . . . So noble is the position to which God has assigned them that they are not allowed to desert it.

When no candidate is perfect, we must try to limit evil by voting for the candidate who will do the least amount of harm.
Cindy
Cindy
Catechumen
Catechumen

Number of posts : 51
Faith : Catholic Convert
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Back to top Go down