This Catholic Journey Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Judging Others

3 posters

Go down

Judging Others Empty Judging Others

Post by Benedict John-Paul Sun May 18, 2008 7:55 pm

Dear Group,

As a new Catholic, I find it sometimes harsh when I hear a person say that such and such person is not a Catholic or a "nominal" Catholic based on how they stand on an issue. Now, please do not get me wrong, I am NOT saying that I am going one way or the other on certian issues concerning faith and politics. What I am saying is that I do not think that it is not right that we pass judgement on these people just because things that we see (or do not see) them doing. I would kind of think that this is reserved for God and the individual in question. Am I off base here?
Benedict John-Paul
Benedict John-Paul
Seeker

Male Number of posts : 17
Faith : Catholic
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Judging Others Empty Re: Judging Others

Post by Cindy Mon May 19, 2008 10:54 am

When a Catholic takes a stand on an issue in opposition to the clear teaching of the Church, it's a serious matter.

We can't judge the state of a soul -- that judgment belongs to God alone -- but we certainly can make judgments about the actions of others. Here's the link to a helpful article:

Judge Not? (This Rock: February 2007)

God bless,

Cindy
Cindy
Cindy
Catechumen
Catechumen

Number of posts : 51
Faith : Catholic Convert
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict John-Paul Mon May 19, 2008 12:03 pm

Cindy wrote:When a Catholic takes a stand on an issue in opposition to the clear teaching of the Church, it's a serious matter.

We can't judge the state of a soul -- that judgment belongs to God alone -- but we certainly can make judgments about the actions of others. Here's the link to a helpful article:

Judge Not? (This Rock: February 2007)

God bless,

Cindy

Hi Condy,

I think I understand. However, that is only for public officials right? I mean only God and the individual Joe Blow knows what is going on in his soul, so as far as he is concerned, that is an issue between the person, his Priest and God right?
Benedict John-Paul
Benedict John-Paul
Seeker

Male Number of posts : 17
Faith : Catholic
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Cindy Mon May 19, 2008 9:46 pm

Benedict John-Paul wrote:
Hi Condy,

I think I understand. However, that is only for public officials right? I mean only God and the individual Joe Blow knows what is going on in his soul, so as far as he is concerned, that is an issue between the person, his Priest and God right?
Not necessarily. A "Joe Blow" Catholic dissenter can cause grave harm by giving rise to scandal and leading others astray.

Scandal is an attitude or behavior which leads another to do evil. The person who gives scandal becomes his neighbor's tempter. He damages virtue and integrity; he may even draw his brother into spiritual death. Scandal is a grave offense if by deed or omission another is deliberately led into a grave offense (Catechism of the Catholic Church 2284).

Our actions are not just between ourselves and God. For good or ill, they affect the body of Christ.

Blessings,

Cindy

Jesus said to his disciples: "Things that cause people to sin are bound to come, but woe to that person through whom they come. It would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around his neck than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin. So watch yourselves. If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him (Luke 17:1-3).
Cindy
Cindy
Catechumen
Catechumen

Number of posts : 51
Faith : Catholic Convert

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Wed May 21, 2008 4:56 am

Benedict John-Paul wrote:,

One must be careful when saying it is just between the person, the priest and God. I know a woman who excuses her pre-marital sexual relationship because "she and God have a deal".

The thing is, what one member of the body of Christ does (or believes) affects the rest of the body of Christ. We are ONE body. If someone is dissenting on a Catholic teaching (especially if they make it publicly known), they are causing harm to the entire body of Christ.

While someone may not understand a teaching or may not fully agree with it, they still must be obedient to the teaching. The authority to bind and loose belongs to the Church, not to each individual.

I hope this helps some...
Amber
Amber
Neophyte
Neophyte

Female Number of posts : 101
Faith : Non-denominational to Catholic

http://thiscatholicjourney.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content