This Catholic Journey Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ministering to Youth

Go down

Ministering to Youth Empty Ministering to Youth

Post by Amber Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:27 pm

The Church Fathers had a distinctive approach to youth ministry. I discovered it in the course of an afternoon’s research. Scouring the Patrologia Latina and Patrologia Graeca, I found nothing to suggest that Ambrose had ever led teens on ski trips to the nearby Alps.
Digging through the Eastern Fathers, I came up even drier—no junior-high dances—not even a pizza party in either Antioch or Alexandria. In fact, in all the documentary evidence from all the ancient patriarchates of the East and the West, there’s not a single bulletin announcement for a single parish youth group.

Yet the Fathers had enormous success in youth and young-adult ministry. Many of the early martyrs were teens, as were many of the Christians who took to the desert for the solitary life. There’s ample evidence that a disproportionate number of conversions, too, came from the young and youngish age groups. How did the Fathers do it? They made wild promises.

Read the rest of this article HERE!
Article by Mike Aquilina
Amber
Amber
Neophyte
Neophyte

Female Number of posts : 101
Faith : Non-denominational to Catholic
Registration date : 2008-02-16

http://thiscatholicjourney.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: