This Catholic Journey Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Showing up late to Mass

+2
RobK
Amber
6 posters

Go down

Showing up late to Mass Empty Showing up late to Mass

Post by Amber Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:21 pm

I often seen people coming in late to Mass, sometimes as late as the Gospel reading (or later). I find this to be horribly distracting to the flow of worship. Is there a point when showing up late means one has not fulfilled their obligation? Should those who show up this late still be receiving Holy Communion?
Amber
Amber
Neophyte
Neophyte

Female Number of posts : 101
Faith : Non-denominational to Catholic
Registration date : 2008-02-16

http://thiscatholicjourney.com

Back to top Go down

Showing up late to Mass Empty Re: Showing up late to Mass

Post by RobK Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:32 pm

I was taught that you had to arrive before the Gospel, but I have no idea if this is a hard and fast rule.

To receive communion, one does not have to attend the entire mass, but to fulfill the Sunday obligation, I was taught you had to be there before the Gospel.

I agree with you about the distraction factor. If I am ever more than a couple minutes late I go to a later mass. Of course, we always are like 10 minutes early to stake out a seat with a reasonable exit path in case our 1 year old needs individual attention outside the Eucharistic Assembly. Wink

RobK
Seeker

Male Number of posts : 10
Faith : Roman Catholic
Registration date : 2008-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by BillC Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:36 pm

Amber wrote:I often seen people coming in late to Mass, sometimes as late as the Gospel reading (or later). I find this to be horribly distracting to the flow of worship. Is there a point when showing up late means one has not fulfilled their obligation? Should those who show up this late still be receiving Holy Communion?

As for a point in the Mass when you are there too late, I have heard much discussion on this with no difinitive answer. Of course, it your tardiness is by no fault of your own, such as an accident blocking traffic or another unexpected delay then I would figure that you would be ok showing up late. I personally, if I showed up really late in the Mass, would attend a later Mass if possible.

For receiving Holy Communion after having shown up late, this is acceptable provided you are in a state of grace. Realize, that you can receive Communion outside of Mass for various reasons. As I said earlier, if you show up late, you might want to attend a later Mass if at all possible.

just my thoughts...someone else might have a more definite answer for you...
BillC
BillC
Neophyte
Neophyte

Male Number of posts : 67
Faith : Catholic-Latin Rite
Registration date : 2008-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by CFaith Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:38 pm

For my part, I am so focused on the Lord when I go to mass, that I notice very little of what is going on around me. If there is a baby crying or fussing, and the parent doesn't take him or her out, I tend to feel a little irritated, but otherwise God's grace allows me to have such a peace at mass... I am there to spend time with God, and everything else takes care of itself. It is a pleasure for me to not feel the need to take inventory of others... I do that enough outside of church, without even meaning to at times...
Just my opinion, but sometimes I think we Catholics are a little bound up by our rules and regs. For me, it is freeing to immerse myself in love without conditions - early, late, or perfectly on time. I am happy to experience the Body of Christ in fellowship with one another, free to share His love and peace together.
Shalom!

CFaith
Seeker

Female Number of posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:43 pm

The Apostolic See has prohibited experimentation in regards to the Mass... meaning priests and even bishops do not have the faculty to change liturgical texts or to altar what is prescribed in liturgical books on their own. They may request permission but it won't be granted without very serious reason.

The "rules and regs" are a necessary aspect of living the Catholic faith. It is by following the liturgical norms that we are able to be united in Christ... in knowing that we are all experiencing the Mass, as God has intended it, the same way throughout the world. As Catholics, we are bound by the authority of the Church and when priests do things to change the liturgy, it infringes on the rights of everyone. We have a right to experience Mass properly and without adding and taking away things based on a priests personal preferences.

For me, it is more distracting to have things go against the liturgical rules because it is out of place and disturbs the flow of worship. Unfortunately, it is difficult these days to find a parish that conducts Mass in a consistently orthodox manner. But, some are definitely worse than others. I once attended a parish where they were allowing First Communicants to stand behind the altar during the consecration... EEEK! Shocked This was the final straw. I was able to overlook most of the smaller "experimentations", but this one pushed me over the edge so I sought a more orthodox parish.
Amber
Amber
Neophyte
Neophyte

Female Number of posts : 101
Faith : Non-denominational to Catholic

http://thiscatholicjourney.com

Back to top Go down

Showing up late to Mass Empty Recommended Reading

Post by Cindy Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:58 pm

Catholic Answers Special Report: Liturgical Abuses

http://www.catholic.com/library/liturgical_abuses.asp

Mass Confusion : The Do's and Don'ts of Catholic Worship
by Jimmy Akin
Cindy
Cindy
Catechumen
Catechumen

Number of posts : 51
Faith : Catholic Convert

Back to top Go down

Post by MaBeck Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:05 am

Yes, if you are not there before the *beginning* of the Gospel, you have not fulfilled your obligation.

I am appalled at the rudeness of this behavior.
I would notice it (doesn't happen at my parish much, or if it does, maybe they sit in the very back) and I would be offended.

It is rude to the priest, it is rude to the fellow congregants, and it is rude to Christ.

I'll bet those same people wouldn't miss the first 30 minutes of a movie they wanted to see!

MaBeck
Seeker

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down