This Catholic Journey Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cell phones at Mass

5 posters

Go down

Cell phones at Mass Empty Cell phones at Mass

Post by padrebear Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:52 pm

At Mass today, we were distracted no less than five times by ringing cell phones. I will never understand why people bring cell phones to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Wouldn't you think that people would know better?

Fr. Trigilio (of EWTN fame) posts a sign at his parish, asking people to turn off their cell phones before they enter the church. I wish more priests would do the same!
padrebear
padrebear
Seeker

Male Number of posts : 12
Faith : Catholic
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

Cell phones at Mass Empty Re: Cell phones at Mass

Post by Amber Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:35 pm

I leave mine in the car. There is no reason why I can't be without my phone for an hour. Smile
Amber
Amber
Neophyte
Neophyte

Female Number of posts : 101
Faith : Non-denominational to Catholic
Registration date : 2008-02-16

http://thiscatholicjourney.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary1973 Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:44 am

We don't seem to have too much of a problem with this.

However, the other day when Father pulled his out after the homily, I was a little shocked. (Just kidding!) rotfl
Mary1973
Mary1973
Neophyte
Neophyte

Female Number of posts : 68
Faith : Roman Catholic
Registration date : 2008-02-19

http://www.marylawlor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BillC Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:03 pm

Amber wrote:I leave mine in the car. There is no reason why I can't be without my phone for an hour. Smile

Yeah, that's what I do as well...at least when I don't forget...if that happens then I simply turn it off for Mass...and naturally forget to turn it back on for a loooong time...
Seems to be pretty rare that anyone has theirs go off during Mas at my parish...
BillC
BillC
Neophyte
Neophyte

Male Number of posts : 67
Faith : Catholic-Latin Rite

Back to top Go down

Post by paxinanima Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:33 am

I can definitely connect to all this. Only last Sunday our priest mentioned using the cell phones during Mass. Unfortunately the person who had the mobile phone turned on took no notice and it rang again during the blessing of the gifts (!) Shrug
I realize that people can't live without their mobile phones nowadays, but I don't know what's the big issue with turning it off, turning it to Silent or at least to Vibration. That way if you don't want to respect the splendour and the most wonderful thing happening in front of your eyes during Mass, you won't bother everyone else.
Nice point padrebear, I'm going to mention that to my priest.

paxinanima
paxinanima
Seeker

Male Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-02-25

http://paxinanima.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary1973 Sun May 04, 2008 12:05 am

A woman's phone went off at Mass today. I happened to be in the same row. Father had just started the Mass. Naturally, the more she tried to get at her phone, the more she couldn't find it. Father made a couple of jokes about it.

Most of the people at these Masses are quite devout and I am sure it was just an oversight on her part. She was embarrased by it all.
Mary1973
Mary1973
Neophyte
Neophyte

Female Number of posts : 68
Faith : Roman Catholic

http://www.marylawlor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by padrebear Sun May 04, 2008 5:00 am

Mary1973 wrote:A woman's phone went off at Mass today. I happened to be in the same row. Father had just started the Mass. Naturally, the more she tried to get at her phone, the more she couldn't find it. Father made a couple of jokes about it.

When it happens repeatedly at every Mass as it does at my parish, it's not so funny. nope No

I recently visited a parish with a very orthodox reputation. When a cell phone started ringing during the Mass, Father stopped his homily cold and glared in the direction of the noise. He made his point without saying a word. God bless him!
padrebear
padrebear
Seeker

Male Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down